Subject: Re: Single user mode: ed(1) or bust
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/04/2007 22:44:24
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 06:47:39PM -0400, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com> wrote:
>
> Moving right along, what do *other* knowledgeable NetBSD users to edit
> in single user mode?

I'm not a knowledgeable NetBSD user.  I come from Debian (with a focus
on CLI _NOT_ gnome/KDE/X-wizzarditis) but for my old box, debian Etch got
parkinson's.  My first install of a BSD and _something_ happened (don't
know enough to know what) and the first thing I had to do in BSD was
edit a file with no vi (IIRC something about no term available).  Being
from debian, I looked for nano....  So I cd'd and ls'd arround looking
for editors.  All I found that I recognized was ed.

So I used Ed. I copied the file to .orig first,  I remembered that n
lists the file and puts line numbers, and tried to remember what I read
about ed from an old UNIX book I had read last year.  I resisted the
temptation to read the man page on my debian box.

So for me, the answer was 'learn ed, fast'.

I suppose if I could remember how to write regex I could have used sed
:)

Doug.