Subject: Re: help interpreting SCSI errors
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/03/2007 09:11:26
--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 09:56:39PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 12:42:18PM -0400, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> > Can anyone help interpret this message?
> >=20
> > sd1(esiop1:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x28 00 02 6f 65 83 00 00 0=
4 00
                                                aaaa bb ccccccccccc dd eeee=
e ff
> >     SENSE KEY:  Media Error
> >    INFO FIELD:  40854918
> >      ASC/ASCQ:  Read Retries Exhausted
> >          SKSV:  Actual Retry Count: 63
> >=20
> > raid1: IO Error.  Marking /dev/sd1a as failed.
>=20
> > I know it means that netbsd had problems writing to this drive, but how
> > can I research to figure out if there's something wrong with the drive
> > itself?
>=20
> if you can find the vendor's manual, you can sometimes get extra
> information by decoding the error condition (CDB: 0x28 ....) .

There's not that much more to decode. The CDB is a READ(10) cdb. Field "c"=
=20
above (my lettering under the CDB printout) is the sector of the read=20
start, which is 0x026f6583 or 40854915.

Field "e" is the sector count, which is 4.

Sense Key "Media Error" and ASC/Q Read Retries exhausted are rather clear=
=20
that we didn't read the media. The info field make a lot of sense when you=
=20
realize that 40854918 is the last sector that we were to read.

> also see sysutils/smartmontools in pkgsrc, it can do further testing of
> the drive through SMART.

Sounds like a good idea. It might also help to write something to that=20
sector. I have heard it bounced around on the lists that a lot of drives=20
remap sectors only on write. So maybe if you put something there the drive=
=20
can fix itself.

Take care,

Bill