Subject: Re: Support for SATA DVD-RW
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikael_Nystr=F6m?= <miny3945@comhem.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/01/2007 20:33:57
On 1 maj 2007, at 20.06, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 06:57:32PM +0200, Mikael Nystr=F6m wrote:
>> I've got a question about support for DVD-RW equipped with SATA
>> interface in NetBSD. Anyone tried themselves to get one up and
>> running? I got one in a machine at home, the DVD shows up in the
>
> Yes.
>
>> dmesg output from the kernel but whenever i try to mount it the
>> entire machine hangs (it requires hard reset of the machine to
>> recover from it). I have an older PATA burner that was replaced by
>> this one which I could swap back, but I figured that I should ask you
>> all if there is some way I could get this thing working properly.
>>
>> The release I'm running on is NetBSD/i386 3.1 and the burner in
>> question is a Samsung Samsung SH-S183A SATA attached to a Asus A7v880
>> board. I not to savvy regarding PC-hardware, could it be a problem
>> with lacking support from BIOS or is it a problem in the NetBSD =20
>> driver?
>
> The problem is not the drive, it lies in the controller.  What kind of
> controller is that thing hooked on?  For instance, mine is on a
> viaide(4), and DMA transfers for it fail.  It's a bug in the viaide(4)
> driver, not in the hardware.

It's connected to:

viaide0: VIA Technologies VT8237 SATA Controller (rev. 0x80)

IIRC the console contained information about downgrading from DMA =20
just before it hangs. I could try to reproduce it but right now it's =20
is not plugged in (still mounted in the case though, it lives in my =20
all-in-all server at home which I try not to upset too much ;-). I =20
don't know how common these things are and how much trouble it is to =20
fix this. Is there someone working on this that could need some help =20
with testing?

Thanks by the way for your quick response!

---
Some say living on this planet is expensive, but this includes a =20
yearly trip around the sun.