Subject: Re: Support for SATA DVD-RW
To: Mikael =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nystr=F6m?= <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/01/2007 20:06:22

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 06:57:32PM +0200, Mikael Nystr=F6m wrote:
> I've got a question about support for DVD-RW equipped with SATA =20
> interface in NetBSD. Anyone tried themselves to get one up and =20
> running? I got one in a machine at home, the DVD shows up in the =20

> dmesg output from the kernel but whenever i try to mount it the =20
> entire machine hangs (it requires hard reset of the machine to =20
> recover from it). I have an older PATA burner that was replaced by =20
> this one which I could swap back, but I figured that I should ask you =20
> all if there is some way I could get this thing working properly.
> The release I'm running on is NetBSD/i386 3.1 and the burner in =20
> question is a Samsung Samsung SH-S183A SATA attached to a Asus A7v880 =20
> board. I not to savvy regarding PC-hardware, could it be a problem =20
> with lacking support from BIOS or is it a problem in the NetBSD driver?

The problem is not the drive, it lies in the controller.  What kind of
controller is that thing hooked on?  For instance, mine is on a
viaide(4), and DMA transfers for it fail.  It's a bug in the viaide(4)
driver, not in the hardware.

Quentin Garnier - -
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (NetBSD)