Subject: Re: help interpreting SCSI errors
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/27/2007 23:10:49
On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 12:42:18PM -0400, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help interpret this message?
>
> sd1(esiop1:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x28 00 02 6f 65 83 00 00 04 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Media Error
>    INFO FIELD:  40854918
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Read Retries Exhausted
>          SKSV:  Actual Retry Count: 63
>
> raid1: IO Error.  Marking /dev/sd1a as failed.
>

> I know it means that netbsd had problems writing to this drive, but how
> can I research to figure out if there's something wrong with the drive
> itself?
>
> The drive does not show any grown defects. I wonder if there may have
> been a raidframe or filesystem or driver issue that could have caused this.

It's definitively a drive issue; it properly reported an internal error
condition. It's not a write, but a read wich caused the issue ("Read Retries
Exhausted", and 0x28 is a "READ 10" command). If the drive does auto bad
block remapping you can just try rebuilding the raid:
raidctl -v -R /dev/sd1a raidx
rewriting the bad block should remap it.
If not, try
scsictl sd1 remap 40854918
before the raidctl

--