Subject: Re: emulating SCO-TERM on NetBSD console?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/25/2007 09:11:27
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 09:54:30PM +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:

> I have a client with an ancient SCO server running their
> main business app (it's a database in postgres or something,
> it's their whole business ...).
>
> They had a couple of old dumb terminals hooked up to it via
> serial lines, and some new PCs running PTERM or some other
> telnet client on win32 that connect to it and they work - except
> their last dumb term just died, so I figured I could hook up
> a NetBSD box and make that emulate a dumb terminal (they don't
> want to run win32 unless they have to).

AIUI, the problem is that the NetBSD box is sending whatever the local
TERM is while the SCO box is expecting whatever its TERM is, and they
don't match.

I don't know SCO at all.  However, how does it set its term type?  Can
you change that to vt100?

Second, you're replacing a dumb (sic) terminal with a box that's
telnetin in.  What happens if you connect the two boxes with a serial
like and run a terminal program on the BSD box?  What term type is in
SCO's getty setup (do they use inittab?)?

Good luck,

Doug.