Subject: Re: emulating SCO-TERM on NetBSD console?
To: Carl Brewer <>
From: Michael Smith <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/25/2007 22:14:23
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:54:30 +1000
Carl Brewer <> wrote:

> This is more a general UNIX question than NetBSD
> specific, but one of the boxes is NetBSD, and maybe someone
> here has a suggestion :
> I have a client with an ancient SCO server running their
> main business app (it's a database in postgres or something,
> it's their whole business ...).
> They had a couple of old dumb terminals hooked up to it via
> serial lines, and some new PCs running PTERM or some other
> telnet client on win32 that connect to it and they work - except
> their last dumb term just died, so I figured I could hook up
> a NetBSD box and make that emulate a dumb terminal (they don't
> want to run win32 unless they have to).
> To cut a long story short, the PC is running NetBSD 3.1 and
> no X11, just a generic PC console.  I can (as you'd expect)
> telnet from it to the SCO server and get a session running and
> it mostly works, except that function keys don't seem to get
> through, and screen fields in their application get filled out
> with control chars etc when they type.  ie: there's something
> wrong with the terminal emulation.  The PC's running win32 are
> emulating 'sco-term' using a telnet client called PTerm and they work
> just fine, but telnet (and rlogin, I thought maybe 8 bit was needed,
> but telnet -8 did the same thing too) from the NetBSD box fails.
> The app is running a text UI that looks like it's written in
> curses or similar. If I didn't know better I'd have sworn it
> was tn3270.
> In the long distant past I solved a similar problem connecting
> to an old PICK box (McDonnell-Douglas/AWA something running 'reality',
> for the curious) by wrapping the login in a screen session, which
> took care of a lot of key mapping etc, but I can't remember how I
> did it.
> Does anyone here have any suggestions for how to get the NetBSD
> console on a PC to correctly work as a telnet client to this
> old SCO server that doesn't seem to grok vt100 or pcvt?
> Can I maybe set /etc/tty's for 'console' to be sco-term or
> similar? or will that break the console?

I don't claim to have the whole answer however:

console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure

...and so on.

According to the man page the type field "vt100" is defined by the termcap file:

Which includes:

# SCO console and SOS-Syscons console for 386bsd
# (scoansi: had unknown capabilities
#       :Gc=N:Gd=K:Gh=M:Gl=L:Gu=J:Gv=\072:\
#       :GC=E:GD=B:GH=D:GL=\64:GU=A:GV=\63:GR=C:
#       :G1=?:G2=Z:G3=@:G4=Y:G5=;:G6=I:G7=H:G8=<:\
#       :CW=\E[M:NU=\E[N:RF=\E[O:RC=\E[P:\
#       :WL=\E[S:WR=\E[T:CL=\E[U:CR=\E[V:\
# I renamed GS/GE/HM/EN/PU/PD/RT and added klone+sgr-dumb, based
# on the :as:=\E[12m  -- esr)
scoansi|SCO Extended ANSI standard crt:\

So could you put scoansi as a terminal type in /etc/ttys ?

(cross fingers, its really just a guess).
Michael Smith
Network Applications   | +61 (0) 416 062 898
Web Hosting          | Internet Services