Subject: Re: how much does the L2 cache affect performance?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/24/2007 07:17:04
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:48:45PM +0800, Joseph A. Dacuma wrote:
> True, but for this particular case, this site may help you. Its in German
> (I hope I understood it very well).
>
> http://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/sites/com/0403031.htm
>
> It clearly says about CPU speed, so 256kB L2 cache running at full speed
> ist equivalent to a 512kB running at half speed. And with a higher clock

Fantastic comparison table.  This is a must for salvagers like me.  (Did you
also teach me German?  I assume "halber" means "half".)

Actually, though, for a machine running 24/7, the power savings made me
more interested in the 1.6V (vs 2.0V) processor than any gain in "speed".
I appreciate your including that in "performance" and pointing that out
to me.

henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/