Subject: Re: Installing a UPS for a NetBSD server... software and
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2007 09:21:09
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:27:33 +0200
Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Can you help me there? How do you use that specific line? In what?

That goes in a kernel config file, for any system 4.0beta or later.
(That describes all of my machines -- I upgraded the last one
yesterday to let it talk to at UPS.)  You then build a custom kernel
according to the instructions in the NetBSD guide.

Here's my config file on that machine:

  include "arch/i386/conf/GENERIC"

  options         SHMMAXPGS=32768 # 2048 pages is the default
  options         IPSEC           # IP security
  options         IPSEC_ESP       # IP security (encryption part; define w/IPSEC)
  options         PCKBD_LAYOUT="(KB_US | KB_SWAPCTRLCAPS)"
  options         HZ=1000

  ugen*   at uhub? port ? vendor "0x051d" flags 1

Note the 'include' line -- it saves a lot of trouble if you're willing
to accept all of the unnecessary drivers in GENERIC.  (I am -- trimming
it down would save me very little memory, as such things go.)