Subject: Re: Thanks NetBSD [Was Re: Debian redefines itself]
To: Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/22/2007 20:56:45
On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 06:03:50PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 03:25:31AM +0800, Joseph A. Dacuma wrote:
> >
> > > I would be interested in reading a technical comparision of NetBSD and
> > > Debian (not a flame fest or a religious debate) to understand for
> > > example, _why_ the rc system is better than sysVinit (as implemented by
> > > debian), _how_ the kernel differs.
> > >

> > IMHO, rc system is simpler than Debian's or most GNU/Linux distros' System
> > V Init. Theres no confusing  /etc/init.d and  the numerous links to rcN.d
> > with S or K and XXservice for every run level.
>
> What isn't clear is what order things happen in the rc system.

Yes, it is: just run rcorder to see.  It is also guaranteed to be correct
so long as the scripts actually declare their dependencies.  The SysV
model requires the administrator to guess the dependencies between the
various services, and can express only a limited number of dependencies
at each level unless one decides to renumber, by hand, the scripts
provided with the system.

I'll take "correct" over "Linux does it the other way" any time, thanks.

Thor