Subject: installing to a RAID1 USB disk?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/21/2007 19:04:38
I'm doing an install of 3.1 to a USB disk attached to my laptop for a
machine I don't currently have access to and am not entirely sure of the
disk layout I'm building for either.

For portability reasons I thought it best to try and encapsulate the
data on this disk as a broken RAID1 mirror with Autoconfigure set so
that the raid0a device becomes the root disk.

The main reason for this is that I don't know whether the disk I'm
building will be wd0, wd1 or even sd0 via USB as it is at the moment -
entries in /etc/fstab are then hard to get right.

The NetBSD Guide details methods to create a system which boots into a
RAID1 root disk but it needs two disks in order to set up.

I am comfortable with using the raidctl command from the install CD and
have easily set up a RAID1 device with appropriate configuration and
then used sysinst to install into it.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get the resultant disk to boot
properly if I use

  /usr/sbin/installboot -o timeout=30 -v /dev/rsd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

If I boot into the laptop internal harddrive then the booting kernel
will discover the sd0 disk and then boot the autoconfigured root device,
so the disk itself seems to be populated properly.

How would I get this working?

Perhaps this might be useful to add to the Guide (if I manage to get it
working)

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank