Subject: Re: Installing a UPS for a NetBSD server... software and procedures?
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Thomas Bieg <tomsbsd04@tiscali.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/21/2007 01:16:50
Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Did you need to do anything special to get apcupsd to work? USB drivers
> to install in some way?

(This wasn't directed at me but if you don't mind I dare to answer anyway.)

A year ago when I got the UPS (APC Back-UPS CS 650 / BK650EI; actually I have
two of them now), the pkgsrc version of apcupsd was outdated but installing
the official tarball was straightforward. Since then I'm running 3.12.2 without
any real problems*. pkgsrc now has 3.12.4 so that should work just as good or
probably even better now.

As for USB, no special driver is needed (only ugen) but a little kernel patch
to prevent uhid from grabbing the device. The better solution is to force ugen
to attach with "flags 1" but I don't know if this made it into the releases
yet.

(Alternatively you can disable uhid completely if you don't need it.)

Regards,
Tom

* The only glitch I noticed so far: occasionally apcupsd tells me that my
battery was dead and needs immediate replacement, but changes its mind again
after a few seconds or so. As everything is running fine nonetheless and the
UPS does its job when needed I didn't care enough to look after that.