Subject: Re: Lack of info on ISO
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/20/2007 20:20:41
On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 10:52:26AM -0500, Przemys??aw Pawe??czyk wrote:

> I sometimes do not understand you entirely. You make CDs but
> the information is not explicitly available from your homepage. It's
> against good Public Relations policy, to stop saying that it is in my
> opinion unfair to common (not super advanced) users.

I don't understand _you_.  I'm brand spaking new to NetBSD (any BSD for
that matter).  I quickly picked up that the prime souce of documentation
prior to installing and getting man pages is a document called an FAQ or
Guide (depending on the BSD in question).

I read the NetBSD guide and followed the instructions and had no
difficulty finding the correct ISO to download and from there to get the
correct floppy image to be able to boot on my box.  (that downloading an
iso file takes me a week is my problem). :))

Perhaps the web page need one addition:

***** WARNING TO NEWCOMERS ***

NetBSD is well documented.  However, the documentation requires a
working understanding of UNIX-like operating systems.  If you do not
posess this knowledge, please see
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/books.html for a listing of books
that may help.

Once you do have this understanding, read the NetBSD guide (see the
documenation page at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation) and other
listed documentation.

After reading all the documentation provided, if you continue to have
difficulty, try searching the mailing list archives.  As a last resort,
post a question to the appropriate mailing list giving a detailed
explanation of your problem and what documentation provided by NetBSD
did not provide the correct answer.

****** End warning. ***

Yes, I know, its a little sarcastic but the documentation is quite
clear.

Doug.