Subject: Re: Installing a UPS for a NetBSD server... software and procedures?
To: Geert Hendrickx <>
From: Gilles Gravier <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/20/2007 09:32:59
OK... I'm going to try with a BK650EI (CS series) from APC...

( )

It's got USB and RS232 cables, so the RS232 drivers should work direct.

And it'll drive 200 W for about 10 minutes... and 400 for about 2
minutes... so plenty of time to shut down the server even if it's at
full load (less than 300 W I gather).

And it's cheap. :)

I'll feedback here once the device is plugged in, and drivers (ups-nut)
built and configured and running...

Wish me "uninterruptible" luck!

Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 08:48:28AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> I use APC UPSes a lot, and pkgsrc/sysutils/ups-nut. I like this pkg because
>> it allows me to connect multiple machines to the same ups, have one of
>> them run the ups monitoring server and the others clients. When power fails,
>> the clients shutdown first, then the server. I only have UPSes with serial
>> connection so far, I think people had problem getting the USB connected ones
>> to work - but that should be a solvable problem if you are ready
>> to do a bit of hacking on the pkg (or wait for success stories).
>> There is a small window where power can return (after the machines shut down
>> and before the ups shuts off), but my power failures in general have been
>> very short (ups survives), or significantly longer than battery time, so
>> this was never a problem.
> Same here; SMART UPS from APC powering multiple networked machines (and their
> switches of course), serially attached to one, combined with Network UPS Tools
> (sysutils/ups-nut in pkgsrc).  No bad experiences.  I also second the comment
> about the power race time window.
> 	Geert

/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* ** <>
*=* **
ICQ : *77488526*
Messenger : <>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<> || AOL : gillesgravier
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
"Chastity is its own punishment." (/Solomon Short/) [/David Gerrold/]
"De toutes les aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus
aberrante." [Anatole France]