Subject: Re: Gnome errors when starting...
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@gravier.org>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/19/2007 13:40:56
On 19/04/07, Gilles Gravier <Gilles@gravier.org> wrote:
> (RESEND IN TEXT ONLY - SORRY)
>
> Hi!
>

> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> When I start GNOME, I get a pop-up that says :
>
> There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
>
> Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
> correctly.
>
> The last error message was:

This was discussed recently. In essence, you haveto start Gnome
through dbus-launch.

For some reason on my laptop gdm has problems with fonts - I am
getting empty rectangles instead of glyphs, so I am starting Gnome
from kdm. /usr/pkg/share/kde/apps/kdm/sessions/gnome.desktop had to be
modified - the Exec line should read

Exec=dbus-launch gnome-session

> Failed to connect to socket/tmp/dbus-awbOyL34MR:
> Connection refused
>
> GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
>

> And, effectively, I get no theme...

You can restart manually the settings daemon via

         dbus-launch /usr/pkg/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon

and the theme will spring to life.

> Any idea of what may be wrong?
>
> Gilles.

Chavdar Ivanov