Subject: Re: Debian redefines itself
To: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Przemys=B3aw_Pawe=B3czyk?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/18/2007 14:23:42
On 4/18/07, Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp@kv.net.pl> wrote:
> Is there a good reason to think that NetBSD treats users as "PhD"
> students than "normal" students like Debian? Of course, no one should
> mull the words verbatim. It contains a good bit of a metaphor.

I'm not a PhD. I probably don't even belong in the computer industry
when you get down to it. But I did learn about BSD and NetBSD in
particular, and I can say that the more I use computers, the more
NetBSD makes sense for *what it is designed to do and what it does
well*. It's not the be all, end all operating system. Never will.

Look, if you want to get this kind of thing started, nobody is going
to begrudge you of that. I see you already sort of have with your own
wiki. BUT, what the NetBSD team isn't going to stand for is you making
assertions on what your opinion of what NetBSD should be, or if you
try to lead some mass exodus to "NetBSD for Dummies" or something. It
doesn't make any damn sense at all.

I can see you've changed your tone, which is great, thank you. But I
think you still haven't understood what the project is about. If you
want all this stuff to happen, by all means, DO IT. But don't ask
anyone to do it for you or assume they should. We've already been
there and done that. You're just a clone of the last guy who brought
up the same exact f***in points every year since the project started.

Enough already.

Andy