Subject: Re: smbd dies under heavy transfers
To: Gilles Gravier <>
From: Gilles Gravier <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2007 07:14:24

After the night of not using the machine, the smbd process had shrunk
again to a normal size. So it seems it only caches information and not
leaks memory.

Seems my problem is solved! :)

Thanks to all who helped with pointers and to Manuel with the definitive
answer using "ulimit"! :)

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> It seems, to me, that smbd isn't freeing memory. Each new file
> manipulated... memory usage increases. But when iTunes has finished
> its processing... smbd process keeps the same size... just stops using
> CPU...
> I have not yet tried stopping iTunes (as it is still processing a
> directory) but will do so right after it finishes... and tell you if
> smbd frees memory... If it doesn't immediately, I'll wait a few
> hours... maybe it times out on open files that it caches... If it
> really never frees the memory, then I'll crontab a /etc/rc.d/samba
> restart at nights. :)
> Gilles.
> Andy Ruhl wrote:
>> This isn't directed at any one person.
>> Anyone care to explain why this might be happening? I'm doing largely
>> the same thing but with about 1000 fewer files, and I'm not having
>> iTunes copy the files. It's using the files directly from the (NetBSD)
>> samba server. I don't see this same problem.
>> It seems like iTunes should just be working serially, file by file,
>> and that seems like it shouldn't be using so much memory?
>> Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't really understand what
>> iTunes is trying to do, or if Samba is trying to do something fancy.
>> It just "works", and I haven't messed with it.
>> Andy

/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* ** <>
*=* **
ICQ : *77488526*
Messenger : <>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<> || AOL : gillesgravier
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
"Chastity is its own punishment." (/Solomon Short/) [/David Gerrold/]
"De toutes les aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus
aberrante." [Anatole France]