Subject: Re: Desktop application agenda
To: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: haad <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2007 00:06:29
Przemysław Pawełczyk wrote:

>>> That's what I pointed out, to no avail.
>>  	How an idea is presented can affect it reception :) Appearing
>>  	to advocate adding a large number of applications to the
>>  	existing NetBSD distribution, is going to make those who
>>  	want the very lean install unhappy, while still not providing
>>  	enough for everybody unless you include all of KDE plus all
>>  	of gnome, plus... well, all of pkgsrc
>
> Beg your pardon for delay.
> Let it be then "two way" - pkgsrc and meta-packages (or preselected
> apps).
>
>>  	NetBSD already ships OS CD images and download, plus similar
>>  	for pkgsrc, the obvious next step is to include something
>>  	like pkg_select in the base system, and offer to run it
>>  	automatically after install.
>
> Your voice reckons. Why no one answered it? Is it only me who wants the
> changes?
>
>>  	If installing from CD and there are any binary packages on
>>  	the CD it could offer to install them all, or a selection,
>>  	or it could download packages from a full pkgsrc build.
> Couldn't say that simpler.

> But mklivecd is without any good simplistic article on it. From
> practical point of view as well.
>
>>  	Evolution maybe more then revolution... all when people
>>  	can put in the time. I think you'll find that the most
>>  	people are not against what you want from a NetBSD
>>  	distribution, they are just adverse to being told (or at
>>  	least appearing to be told) that the existing setup which
>>  	works very well for them is junk and needs to be replaced.
> I won't change my words. Many people get accustomed to junkyards (untidy
> placed books on shelves, electronic parts in drawers, etc) knowing what
> and where with blinded eyes. "It works very well" until something
> vanishes from the sight or gets forgotten where it was put. With
> WWW is another matter. It works up to the time it tumbles down under
> its own untidiness. Old users may not be lost, but new users will get
> lost right away. Either they ask for a candle or kick the system off.
>
>>  	Fortunately we can (and IMHO should) be able to fulfill both
>>  	needs.
> Agreed.
>
>>  	The NetBSD ftp server already hosts the live CD image made
>>  	by freeX ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/livecd/ and
>>  	pkgsrc has the mklivecd and pkg_select packages, and NetBSD
>>  	has within the last release or so imported tools into the
>>  	base system to allow the standard release build to include
>>  	iso images.
>>
>>  	So... whats missing?
> Documentation or helping html pages. The focus on the possibilities.
> That's what's missed. I still insist the official homepage is a mess
> and horrible. Today I've made new project of the page. Look into it:
> http://pp.kv.net.pl/lnbsd/index.html A little thought and checking one
> against the other will tell more than I could convey via e-mail.
>
>>  	I'm not saying "this is what will happen", more "this is
>>  	one thing that could happen", and I think its quite
> [...]
I think that your mails should go to spam :) directory directly. Your messages
are totally unusefull. Sometimes I think taht in next mail you will sell ome
medicine to us. Please stop your messages and start some work:), they are only
eating netbsd bandwidth and our time.

Regards
Adam Hamsik
ICQ 249727910
jabber haad@jabber.org
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand
binary numbers, and those who don't.