Subject: Re: smbd dies under heavy transfers
To: Andy Ruhl <>
From: Gilles Gravier <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/2007 22:33:49
It seems, to me, that smbd isn't freeing memory. Each new file
manipulated... memory usage increases. But when iTunes has finished its
processing... smbd process keeps the same size... just stops using CPU...

I have not yet tried stopping iTunes (as it is still processing a
directory) but will do so right after it finishes... and tell you if
smbd frees memory... If it doesn't immediately, I'll wait a few hours...
maybe it times out on open files that it caches... If it really never
frees the memory, then I'll crontab a /etc/rc.d/samba restart at nights. :)

Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Chuck Swiger <> wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> > And when my precess would reach a crashing point, the size would be
>> > about 130 MB... I have (temporarily) set ulimit to unlimited for 3
>> > variables :
> This isn't directed at any one person.
> Anyone care to explain why this might be happening? I'm doing largely
> the same thing but with about 1000 fewer files, and I'm not having
> iTunes copy the files. It's using the files directly from the (NetBSD)
> samba server. I don't see this same problem.
> It seems like iTunes should just be working serially, file by file,
> and that seems like it shouldn't be using so much memory?
> Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't really understand what
> iTunes is trying to do, or if Samba is trying to do something fancy.
> It just "works", and I haven't messed with it.
> Andy

/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* ** <>
*=* **
ICQ : *77488526*
Messenger : <>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<> || AOL : gillesgravier
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
"Chastity is its own punishment." (/Solomon Short/) [/David Gerrold/]
"De toutes les aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus
aberrante." [Anatole France]