Subject: Re: Desktop application agenda
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/14/2007 17:00:45
--------------enig943D328300397EDF2CF58AFB

Przemys=C5=82aw Pawe=C5=82czyk wrote:
[---]
>> Most of the "core developers" (and "users") did not bother to reply
>> to your posts on netbsd-users@ - or did they all answer to you
>> offlist?
> The very few supporting views in former round of "discussion" (tphu...
> (a sound of spitting)) were quickly drowned by your moralizing fracas.

   I bet there are a few who agree with some of your ideas.

   I for one *require* some form of https browser to even get access to
the Internet (my university network requires a login). So on a freshly
installed NetBSD system, I have no way to get access to the Internet. To
do so I have to download a binary lynx-package from my other system,
burn a CD with the binary lynx package, and pkg_add it on my NetBSD
system. After the login, I could pull down pkgsrc, and write a python
based login script.. If I hadn't had an extra system, I would have had
to get lynx some other way. Well, it's doable, but suboptimal. But there
are bound to be others in my situation, and some might give up much
sooner than I do. I raised this point a while back -- that it would be a
good idea to include some network essentials in what I called "The base
system", which was a poor choice of words I realized later, since that
means something different to the people actually putting NetBSD
together. What I wanted was lynx on the installation CD, as a binary
package, not included in base.tgz. Well, anyway.. I believe some points
were raised about how that was impossible to do, because then we would
have to include all other browsers in the world too, blah, blah, blah..
So in the end, I think the consensus was "let's not do nothing about
it". That kind of sucked.. Recently, when I was going to reinstall my
NetBSD system (repartitioning), the "not being able to login due to lack
of a https browser" bit me again. It's not very difficult to work
around, but it's highly annoying.

   Like I said, there are probably a few people who agree with you in
that there are things to be done. But I don't think there are many who
agree with *how* you are saying it. I would never dream of *demanding*
the inclusion of a https-capable console-mode browser on the
installation CD. But I did ask for it, it was discussed, and finally
rejected. I can live with that.

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson