Subject: Re: Desktop application agenda
To: =?windows-1252?Q?Przemys=3Faw_Pawe=3Fczyk?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2007 11:48:49
Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if a few desktop flavors of NetBSD were
> debated during "setting future development" session of some sort. What
> "policy" in this matter, if ever, emerged from the talks or
> discussions.
>
> Once I envisioned a few CDs with GTK+1.2, GTK+2.x, GNOME, and KDE. Of
> my interest are the first two of them. They are relatively low on
> resources on older machines. But as I pointed in recent thread of
> mine (Re: new website with mplayer binaries) both "flavors" should be
> supplemented with a few new apps or old apps with new functions. For
> example - e-mail readers _must_ be equipped with two basic options -
> cryptography and spell-checker abilities.
>
> Another item. NetBSD comes with a lot of editors but it lacks "tea"
> application. I'm not going to fight wars which one is better but I used
> EPM (OS/2), THE (OS/2, Rexx), Gvim, and Windows MED (excellent). In my
> opinion no unix editor can beat up Windows shareware editors like MED
> in ease of use. The only editor from unix world which offers similar
> functionality and "friendly" attitudes is tea
> (http://tea.linux.kiev.ua/).
>
> Tea was compiled for FreeBSD so it could be ported to NetBSD without
> problems.
>
> These are my long awaited applications I need. I'd like to hear your
> thoughts on the subjects.
>
> Regards,
> pp
> --
> Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk <pp@kv.net.pl>

I don't quite follow the first paragraph. Are you saying that all MUAs
must have integrated pgp and ispell? You should talk to the MUA
developer in question in that case.
Regarding GNOME & KDE, pkgsrc likes to support both and let the users
decide for themselves. If there are specific applications you feel
are missing, we want to hear about it.

The tea editor was imported[*] into pkgsrc-wip a long time ago, but
it's an ancient version. You should ask the package maintainer to
update it if you need it.

[*] http://pkgsrc.se/wip/tea

-Tobias