Subject: Re: NetBSD and Google SoC 2007, a question
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Liam J. Foy <liamfoy@sepulcrum.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2007 18:30:24
Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Jordan Gordeev <jgordeev@dir.bg> wrote:
>> In the Google Summer of Code 2007, NetBSD has only 6 accepted SoC
>> projects, FreeBSD - 25 and Plan 9 - 13.
>> Do you have and reasonable explanation?
>
> Unfortunately it is not up to to determine the number of projects we get
> assigned.  Google determines how many slots each project will be given.
> I believe that one of the criteria of how many slots a project is given
> is the number of students who applied for the given organization.
>
> This is where we may have somewhat hurt ourselves:  based on our
> experience form the previous years, we have put more effort into the
> suggested projects page, with very precise levels of difficulty assigned
> and our expectations expressed.  As a result, we have received fewer
> applications than in previous years -- we may have scared off a few
> people.
>
> On the other hand, I'd like to point out that this year the *quality* of
> applications received was *far* higher than in the previous two years.
> That is, we had a significantly higher number of high quality projects
> that we had mentors ready for and that sounded like they would be
> successfull in the timeframe than we did in previous years.
>
> The ranking of the proposals was more difficult as a result, and while
> it's too bad that we weren't able to accept more of the great proposals
> we received, we are still quite happy with the 6 projects that were
> selected.  In the end, we prefer quality over quantity.

I agree - and if people who proposed still wish to do the projects over
the summer that would be fantastic (I imagine developers would still be
keen to mentor them 'formally' too). If you're one of those who wish, it
may be a good idea to contact the appropiate list and see who would be
willing to 'mentor' you :-).

Completing a project this year *without* payment I believe would look
great if you wish to possibly do next years SoC (assuming google do it).
People also get an insight into your ability which stands for everything
when choosing/voting for projects.

	--
	Liam J. Foy
	<liamjfoy@netbsd.org>