Subject: Re: soft updates Re: Summer of code ideas
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2007 19:16:42
Bill Stouder-Studenmund said:

>That's both the idea and the promise. For better or worse, that has not
>been the experience of a number of users.

If you google for "background fsck", it seems that it is not as reliable as
it is claimed to be. A lot of FreeBSD server operators shut off background
fsck with large datasets, as the possibility of PANICs grows as the size of
the filesystem grows.

And then there are those who want Solaris ZFS, as it is a fairly snazzy
filestystem, although it has only been in a Solaris release since late
2006.

On the other hand there is the Solaris Logging UFS filesystem, which has
been included in Solaris 8, 9, and 10. By default, all filesystems now
use logging. I've been using it since Solaris 8.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>