Subject: Re: xorg setup
To: Eric d'Alibut <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/09/2007 20:09:41
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:54:49 -0400
"Eric d'Alibut" <> wrote:

> I have successfully (as far as I can tell) built the xorg meta-pkg in
> pkgsrc.
> What additional steps must/ought I perform to get xorg up and running?
Make sure /usr/pkg/xorg/bin is in your PATH.  Remove /usr/X11R6/bin
from your PATH.  Add

	xorg            /usr/pkg/xorg/man/

to /etc/man.conf.  Add

	XAuthLocation       /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/xauth

to /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config if your forward X in
either direction.  And the big one: create a proper /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file.  (All but this last can be bypassed if you make /usr/X11R6 a
symlink to /usr/pkg/xorg, but updates from source (I don't know about
upgrades via the normal path; I've only done this on -current systems)
create a skeleton /usr/X11R6 tree.)

		--Steve Bellovin,