Subject: Garmin Etrex Vista Cx support?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/05/2007 14:57:05
I'm toying with the idea of buying one of these GPS units and wanted to
see what sort of support was present in a 4.0_BETA2 system.

Unlike my other eTrex, the Vista Cx doesn't have a serial port, but
rather has a USB port[1]. I plugged one into my laptop at the reseller
store to see what I could see.

Unfortunately the Vista Cx doesn't appear to present a serial interface
via USB, but just shows up as a generic USB device:

ugen0 at uhub1 port 1
ugen0: vendor 0x091e product 0x003, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2

The version of the garmin-utils in pkgsrc I have appears to talk to a
serial port only and none of the other GPS tools in pkgsrc seem to know
about USB-based ones ...

Does anyone else own one of these devices or the Legend Cx which would
be very similar? How would I go about getting it running on this laptop?

Regards,
Malcolm

[1] It also has a mini-SD slot, but that is not the
object of the exercise at the moment

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank