Subject: Re: Help installing 2nd disk in system...
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/03/2007 15:00:03
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 19:02:28 +0200
Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just got myself a new 700GB IDE disk to add to my trusty NetBSD 3.1
> server as a data disk. The system disk is seen as wd0 ... the new
> disk is wd1 ... Question is : what are the steps to format and
> partition that new disk so that it is one big volume (i.e. 100% of
> the disk capacity)... preferably with some form of journalized file
> system (though my machine has yet to experience a crash which could
> corrupt a file system - thanks to NetBSD being rock stable)?

You don't say what platform; I'll assume i386.

Run 'fdisk -u wd1' to create an fdisk partition.  Start at sector 63
and use the rest for the partition.  Run 'disklabel -i wd1' to create a
NetBSD partition -- I'd use 'a', though I suppose there's no reason not
to use 'c' which is all of the NetBSD space.  Run 'newfs wd1a' (or
'newfs wd1c') to initialize the file system.  Add it to /etc/fstab and
you're in business.