Subject: Re: 3.1 CVS tag question
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/02/2007 10:24:36
On 4/2/07, Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 07:58:11AM -0500, Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk wrote:
> > That's right, for 500- users. Not more. The core of the row is contained
> > in the three words "for us (releng)". What I read: first _we_ (releng),
> > then _you_ infidels (that is to say "users").
>
> Oh, right, release tag conventions should fit _your_ ideas, not releng's.
> We're just the ones doing all the work, which doesn't matter much anyway.
>
> Let me suggest you to create your own fork and leave us alone with our
> b0rken documentation and release systems.

Indeed.  It's pretty easy after some initiation.
When using CVS, no tag == "-current" (HEAD)
netbsd-N is N.newest(includes security fixes and smaller feature improvements)
netbsd-N-M is N.M.securityfixes (no new features)

That's all I've ever needed to know as a user.  BASE, BRANCH, etc, are
all pretty much useless unless you're releng.  If you're a dev, get
HEAD and start working.  If you're an admin, get the version that you
need and follow it.  If you want to work one step forward, follow the
instructions to get a BETA, RC, or whatever.  I don't think it's
reasonable to think someone should be able to guess the cvs tags
without reading about them first.

http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html#release
(not that easy to figure out, but neither is tracking/building an OS
with cvs.  Maybe that page could take an "executive summary"-type
section)

_Matt