Subject: Re: 3.1 CVS tag question
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/02/2007 08:57:54
On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 07:49:41AM -0500, Przemys??aw Pawe??czyk wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:29:27 -0400
> Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
>
> > Please explain exactly how you would maintain a branched product in
> > CVS with less tags than this, while allowing diffs to the revision of
> > each source file from which each released version was branched.  A
> > hint: there is no other way that uses less tags.
>
> What about less branching?

You're suggesting that we should not fix bugs in the previous major
release of NetBSD?

Even if this were a good idea (and I doubt anyone but you thinks it is)
it would require _more_ tags per branch, not less, since each major
release requires a -base tag, while minor releases are made from the
head of the underlying major release branch.

Again, I suggest that you might want to get some experience actually
doing this before you act so certain that you know how to tell others
how to do it.

Thor