Subject: Re: why XML?
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org, netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-due.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/02/2007 00:41:53
James K. Lowden wrote:

> How do you define a URL in mdoc?  Does it become an HREF anchor when
> converted to HTML?  What about a GUI component?  How do you include a
> graphic?
>
>>> If folks want more structured (and truly structured) documentation
>>> then I could only recommend Lout (pkgsrc/textproc/lout) as it is light
>>> years beyond anything-TeX or troff-like and still light years beyond
>>> anything-ML too.
>
> I don't understand how you can recommend it.  The PDF backend is
> officially deprecated, and I see no HTML backend.
> [...]

sorry, the quotes are from Greg A. Woods. I'm only the forwarder, and i
have no detailed knowledge about Lout or groff.

How about "AsciiDoc"? It can produce HTML, PDF and DocBook document
types.

 	http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/index.html

> The evidence stands against you, though.  Many very large documentation
> projects rely on DocBook.

Hm, if only many projects rely on but not all - what alternatives do
they use instead of DocBook?

> DocBook is neither an accident nor a fad.  It demonstrably yields good
> HTML and printed output.

Why become set on output if already the *input* doesn't work? I don't
know if the contributions to the documentation really have decreased.
But if even developers like Greg refuse to work with it, something seems
wrong or at least suboptimal.

kind regards, Mark

--
Mark Weinem