Subject: Re: Proposition for Releases page changes
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@aydogan.de>
From: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/31/2007 15:52:58
On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 02:24:21PM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> Yes, NetBSD documentation has always been a pain.

Well, it was okay some time back.

> And trying to help improving is a pain too. You need to send xml diffs !

And that's where the project lost me as a contributor. You want XML?
Go find the people who want to edit that. Not me. The translation process
was a nice check to see whether the original doccos were up-to-date.
Well, then there was that great technical improvement of bringing
a uberly verbose <censored> into the project and - oh wonder - a
lot of work went into - make this possible, make that possible, change
structure here, change stylesheet there - and less into hey let's keep
this up to date.

I still believe in the value of good documentation, I still love
NetBSD for being the system it is (although it seems technical decisions
partially went away in favor of political decisions), but I don't
love the system enough to fight XML.

And I suppose I'm not alone on that plank.

Regards,

-Martin