Subject: Doubled efforts?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/30/2007 07:18:38
--Signature=_Fri__30_Mar_2007_07_18_38_-0500_1Er+JGbHv=qD16vr

Hi,

I found two similar (?) services:
1) official port pages (http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/)
2) wiki platform pages (http://wiki.netbsd.se/index.php/Platforms)

a) I'd like to know if the two trees duplicate themselves or are
complementary.
b) In what way do you see they differ to each other?

As changes to existing documentation structure would be nearly
physically unworkable I suggest creation of new higher tier of html
pages for every port with following contents:

1) pictures
2) Link to official port pages (http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/xxx)
3) Link to wiki port pages
   (http://wiki.netbsd.se/index.php/Platforms/xxx)
4) Link to Small Computers
   (http://wiki.netbsd.se/index.php/Recommended_systems)

Suggestions:
First, this page should be incorporated into wiki's main menu. Second,
it should carry other title, for example Small Computers (for geeks,
freaks, NetBSD fans, etc, whatever you like ;-).

"Recommended systems" is doubly misleading: _the_ only recommended
system is anyway NetBSD ;-) ; "system" word describes both computer,
and operating system as well.

5) Link to "Server Class Computers" or "Multicore Machines" (if they/it
will see daylight)
6) Links to "Running Application" page

Explanation:
I suggest five main categories in which I'd like to devide application
pool of pkgsrc. The information could be usefull for those who want to
buy this'o'that hardware. It's obvious not every apps from pkgsrc is
running on every port/platform or computers equipped with a given
processor.

1) Office + graphics + pim + editors, etc
2) Developers sets and applications
3) LAN (network, internet, tools)
4) WAN (wireless networks) I strongly opt for the separate category.
5) Multimedia

Such comprehensive data on NetBSD Port items would fulfill every
prospective NetBSD user's need for up-to-date information.

Regards,
pp

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp@kv.net.pl>