Subject: Re: 4.99.16 and packages-2006Q4
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/29/2007 19:21:00
On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 12:53:20PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > No. The problem was not a lack of old symlimks. The problem was a
> > lack of old libraries. And this is why I said you were begging for
> Right -- lying to the system is indeed a bad idea.  My question is how
> can we avoid the necessity?

We could keep the sources of old shared library version arround, build
them and ship them. But that would waste a lot of various resources.

And it wouldn't solve all the problems anyway. If you e.g. try to
build package "A" under NetBSD 4.x linking against package "B" which
was build under NetBSD 3.x you are likely to hit problems. C++
programs will e.g. not be compatible with old C++ shared libraries
because of the different GCC versions.

	Kind regards