Subject: Re: VPN help
To: NetBSD/users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/28/2007 20:11:29
On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 08:06:54PM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> I think it's pretty easy to set up compared to IPSec, ...

That depends. If you e.g. use the Cisco client to talk to a NetBSD VPN servers
things aren't that bad.

> ... plus it's extremely firewall friendly

NetBSD's IPsec supports NAT-T which allows firewall traversal, too.

> ... (you can even tunnel out through a webproxy).

But you don't want to do that because tunneling TCP through TCP is a
really bad idea in general.

A general advantage of IPsec is the better performance. The VPN server.
doesn't have to move data from kernel to userland and back.

	Kind regards