Subject: Re: Wiki
To: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
From: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/28/2007 08:18:44
--Signature=_Wed__28_Mar_2007_08_18_44_-0500_fkc4ymx2F6kfshyQ

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:13:27 +0200 (CEST)
Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > Why community wiki link isn't exposed on official homepage?
>
>    As I remember it, it's not officially endorsed.  There was no
> overwhelming support for having one, with many/some people arguing
> instead in favor of making contributions to the already existing
> documentation.
>
>    So it's semi-unofficial.  That is also why it's not under a
> netbsd.org domain.
Hi,

I do understand nothing. The best place with information how to get
next release files for testing is being hide from publicity.

I must say the PR is your worst case scenario. All the efforts of some
of you attanding numerous exhibitions are wasted if there is no
indication on homepage how community is participating beside
contributing to official documentation (what's rather inferred or
implied than proved).

What's more. Lack of information about LiveCDs, lack of LiveCD with a
few WMs to choose and/or targeted to different users, next releases'
ISOs (if they are provided, and we know they are albeit unofficialy) on
homepage is highly detrimental to NetBSD Cause (let me say that).

First impressions during reading homepage have enormous impact on
visitors and their attitudes towards NetBSD operating systems.

And that sensitive information on LiveCD and daily ISO on wiki you
hide away from prospective NetBSD users for pety arguments. Why petty?
Documentation is too "serious" matter for some whereas the texts
submitted to wiki however equally serious implie "less" responsibility
on the author as official docu texts do.

Wiki is a _reallity_, it's a _fact_, whether some of you like it or
not. Why don't make use of it?

Regards,
pp
--