Subject: Re: what handheld or low-power computer?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2007 23:35:00
Jeremy C. Reed said on 27/3/07 17:33:
> Is there any single webpage with NetBSD recommendations for handhelds or
> small, low-power computers?
>
> I could search through all of our many "Ports" webpages to read about what
> is support and NOT supported. But it would be easier to have some webpage
> of "recommended" systems that have complete or near complete NetBSD
> support.
>
>   Jeremy C. Reed

I'm currently mucking about with NetBSD on a Sharp Zaurus 3200. The
hardware is very impressive - including a 640x480 colour LCD touch
screen, 6Gb hard drive 128 Mb RAM and a 400Mhz ARM processor. In terms
of size, the machine is what I'd consider ideal for a handheld computer.
The 3000 series (and I believe the 1000 as well) are in a clamshell
format, with a screen that can be swiveled over to work like a tablet.

These machines ship with a version of Linux installed, but there is a
pretty mature OpenBSD port as well as a nascent NetBSD port. Sadly,
Sharp have decided that the next generation of these machines will ship
with a version of Windows, but if the hardware doesn't change too much
then I'd hope to see them running a BSD pretty quickly.

Based on postings from the NetBSD Zaurus mailing list, I ordered my
machine from www.conics.net. They seem to be the cheapest source for
both new and refurbished machines, and ship to both the US and EU.

You might be able to tell from the tone of this post that I'm pretty
keen on these gizmos, and you'd be right. It's really a laptop in a very
small form factor (complete with USB, sound chip and wireless networking
via a compact flash port). I just can't understand why Sharp never
officially sold them much, if at all, outside Japan.

Chris