Subject: Re: When NetBSD 4.0?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2007 13:53:58
On Aug 17,  9:26am, Mark Weinem wrote:
}
} >  Umm, what regular release process?  I've been following NetBSD
} > since the very early days and there has never been a regular release.
}
} I thought regular releases were aimed at after the release of 2.0.
} That's what Alexandre Wennmacher wrote in 2005 for the german magazine
} "freeX" (freeX 6/2005, Die Zukunft: NetBSD, 68-70)

     There's been talk about it, but nothing has ever happened.  And,
without more volunteers for the release engineering team, I don't know
if it will happen anytime soon.  I'm not sure it is even necessary.

} > The answer to the question is, "When it's ready."
}
} I think for 4.0 the answer is "When the release team decides it's ready
} enough"

     To some extent that is always true.  With something as complex as
an entire operating system, it is near impossible to have it 100% bug
free, no matter how hard you try, and we do try hard.

} > NetBSD releases when there is something interesting and it has
} > stablised.
}
} Like support for firewire -  that was interesting for me two years ago ;-)

     However, it is also well known that the early firewire
implementation was quite problematic.  However, firewire support has
been overhauled and should be much better in 4.0.

}-- End of excerpt from Mark Weinem