Subject: Re: When NetBSD 4.0?
To: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-due.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2007 06:56:17
--=-=-=

Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-due.de> writes:

> Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>> Two previous *major* releases; we are currently supporting 4
>> releases (2.0.
>> 2.1, 3.0, and 3.1) with security patches.
>>
> Wow, is it really necessary to support even 2.0 and 3.0?

I assume you mean why 2.0 and 3.0 and not just 2.1 and 3.1.   Actually
the netbsd-2 and netbsd-3 branches (along which 2.2 and 3.2 would be
released, if they are released at all) are also maintained.

If someone has a server running 2.0, then following netbsd-2-0 is much
less scary than following netbsd-2.  Consider someone with a server
that if it's down 1000 people don't get email.  My servers only
directly affect ~30 people so e.g. tracking netbsd-2 (rather than
netbsd-2-0) isn't that scary.  So on my systems I track the major
release branch (netbsd-2, netbsd-3, netbsd-4).

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--