Subject: Re: How to make `ruby18' into `ruby'
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2007 01:26:12
Takahiro Kambe wrote:
> In message <4608A478.4040900@berklee.edu>
> 	on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:58:32 -0400,
>>> 1. Install pkgsrc/lang/ruby package, it creates ${PREFIX}/bin/ruby.
>> Ah. I thought I had, but that was only in pkg_comp. What tripped me up was that, instead of installing ruby explicitly, I ran
>> `pkg_add ruby18-ldap', which pulled in ruby18, but not ruby.
> "pkg_add ruby18-ldap" should install ruby18-base not ruby18.  If
> wip/ruby-ldap install ruby18 as depending package, it should be fixed
> to depend on ruby18-base.  (I don't think ruby-ldap depends on ruby18-base.)
>
> ruby18-base	Minimum ruby 1.8.x package.
> ruby18		Contains whole Ruby 1.8.x release's contents.
> ruby		Give commands without "18".
>
> This separation was supporting multiple version of Rubys, such as
> 1.6.x and 1.8.x, though there is single version of Ruby package
> currently.

Yes - I mistyped (must be my bedtime). It correctly pulled in
ruby18-base, not ruby18.

wip/ruby-ldap is doing the right thing, pulling in ruby18-base. And the
resulting package is ruby18-ldap.

It probably figures what version it should be from...

.include "../../lang/ruby/modules.mk"   ... which includes rubyversion.mk.

Thanks,

Louis