Subject: Re: How to make `ruby18' into `ruby'
To: None <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2007 14:12:17
In message <4608A478.4040900@berklee.edu>
	on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:58:32 -0400,
	Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu> wrote:
> >> Or should I just `ln -s /usr/pkg/bin/ruby18 /usr/pkg/bin/ruby' like I've been doing?
> >
> > 1. Install pkgsrc/lang/ruby package, it creates ${PREFIX}/bin/ruby.
>
> Ah. I thought I had, but that was only in pkg_comp. What tripped me up was that, instead of installing ruby explicitly, I ran
> `pkg_add ruby18-ldap', which pulled in ruby18, but not ruby.
"pkg_add ruby18-ldap" should install ruby18-base not ruby18.  If
wip/ruby-ldap install ruby18 as depending package, it should be fixed
to depend on ruby18-base.  (I don't think ruby-ldap depends on ruby18-base.)

ruby18-base	Minimum ruby 1.8.x package.
ruby18		Contains whole Ruby 1.8.x release's contents.
ruby		Give commands without "18".

This separation was supporting multiple version of Rubys, such as
1.6.x and 1.8.x, though there is single version of Ruby package
currently.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>