Subject: Re: FFS and Journaling
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/25/2007 18:06:41
On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 12:36:58PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

[softdep]

> But it's not.  Instead, it's a huge mess of spaghetti code that is
> incestuous with all layers of the FFS implementation at every opportunity.

Agreed. From what I have seen it's also the only file system code we have
that runs from interrupt handlers.

> From my point of view one major advantage of a journalled FFS would be
> the simplicity it would bring back to our core filesystem implementation.

Also agreed. I haven't run NetBSD's softdep for a long time. From that I
have seen it doesn't deal well with system crashes or power outages.. If we
get a journalled FFS that works, I would be more than happy to see softdep
go.

Andrew