Subject: Re: /pub/NetBSD-daily/ what is what?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/24/2007 20:49:57
On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 12:11:06PM -0500, Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:19:17 -0400
>"George Georgalis" <george@galis.org> wrote:
>
>> only the releases have ISOs. but you could make an iso from the
>> newer src tags with the build.sh script.
>
>But that's what I point at and tell all around that's unacceptable!

too bad? netbsd is not redhat. what's unacceptable for you is your
choice. for now it seems the best versioning system of any OS, for
me.  I like it like that and I'm not alone. I don't completely
understand it, I wish I did and could change it to my liking,
too; but I know enough to appreciate the model has the best of
stability, features, and release cycle. --- you know, good, fast
and cheep, pick any two; or go somewhere else.

>Do not coerce us, all users, too build releases, subreleases, and subsubreleases!
>Give us ___please___ ISOs, that's all.

I'm just a user! but I can say it's trivially easy to
determine the tag which is right for you according
to what level of stability vs features you want.

>How can I help if I have to pass my P.h.D. exams on building system from sources first?

here's your phd:
-figure out how to do a cvs src checkout of the tag you want
-look at /usr/src/BUILDING
-use the examples to build a kernel and install it
-use the examples to build a distribution
-use the examples to install your distribution
-reboot

>Thank you very much for the diagram. It showed me where I made errors thinking about NetBSD development. Namely, I thought about all stable releases as a main points on a road to future. Like main cities on transamerican highway from west to east coast. Meantime they are only splinters (branches) from a main trunk. Or nearby small towns nestled to the highway and living from occasional guests.

no releases are about stability, when new features get stable,
they get tagged as a release; most of the time two stable releases
are available, but if there are three supported releases and you
are on the oldest, it would be a good time to upgrade if you
require support.

>Of course the idea of such designed development is not bad. Only the "user's part" of the development is underdevelopped.

By that logic, I'm hungry. You should send me some
food.  Maybe you should think about the value of
humility before you complain about how hard the
developers are working for you.

BTW you should wrap email at 80 columns or less.

// George