Subject: Building a bootable image
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/23/2007 01:38:43
--------------enigB029AE4FDCE5BA6BC8618647

Hello all,

   I'd like to create a maintenance boot CD from my NetBSD system. To
answer the obvious question "Why not use the installation CD?": Because,
as far as I can gather, there's no cgd support in it -- which I require.

   I found this page: http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/live-cd.html

   ... which looks like a good place to start, apart from: "The
following notes are out-of-date. THIS IS OUT-OF-DATE." :-)

   Want I want is to be able to boot from a CD, and have some basic
commands. The most advanced application I need is "vi".

   I want to restructure my partition layout due to a newly installed
hard drive. I will need to mount my new disk (cgd:d), mount my "old"
disk (some slices are cgd:d), copy all of the "old" stuff to the new
disk. Repartition the "old" disk, and then copy everything back on to
the "old" disk with the new layout. install_boot on the "old" disk. Reboo=
t.

   Surely someone must have created such a CD before, and have a rough
idea about what I need to do? I'm not at all interested in getting X
running. I only need the command line tools.

   Oh, and I would also like to know how to best preserve all relevant
data when I copy (or tar) the files from the old disk to the new one,
and then copy (or untar) it back later.

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson