Subject: Re: When NetBSD 4.0?
To: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2007 13:18:45
--------------enig0E2F3CC51A4B2841E627D47D

Przemys=C5=82aw Pawe=C5=82czyk wrote:
>>    Seriously though.. If the 4.0 branch contains features that you
>> require, then why not help out by beta testing it?
> I got problems with it and badly needed working version (on 8 GB HDD on=
ly).
>=20
> "Seriously though." Do you ask me to test bare system or with apps unde=
r "battlefield" conditions?

   I don't think that was what I asked, since I'm not a developer. I was
merely inquiring if it was an option, in case 4.0 has features that are
 important to you.

> 1) And tell me please, what packages I should use with the daily build =
snapshots:
> package-2006Q4, pkgsrc-2006Q4 or (current-)pkgsrc (respectively: binari=
es, compilations, compilations)?

   I don't run 4.0, so I couldn't tell you. I was merely asking if it
was an option.

> 2) Can I install old 2006Q4 binaries or do I have to compile from curre=
nt pkgsrc?

   I'm not sure when the pkgsrc began being adapted to the problems
caused by the transition to GCC4, but I believe that 2006Q4 could work.
But I'm only guessing.

> 3) And why there're no "current" binaries? My Celeron 400 flint is not =
a match to Athlon/Xeon/Pentium 4000+ 203mm heavy cruiser cannons, not men=
tioning X2/X4 406 mm battleship monsters.

   That I can understand. I used a Celeron 600 before I upgraded to my
current machine. It seemed that compiling was all it ever did. Not
exactly what I got the machine for..

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson