Subject: Re: When NetBSD 4.0?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-due.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2007 12:18:45
Hi,

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Przemysaw Paweczyk wrote:

> 1) And tell me please, what packages I should use with the daily build
> snapshots: package-2006Q4, pkgsrc-2006Q4 or (current-)pkgsrc
> (respectively: binaries, compilations, compilations)?

Try out in that order.

> 2) Can I install old 2006Q4 binaries or do I have to compile from
> current pkgsrc?

You can start with the "old" binaries. At least that's what I do. But
it might be that not all packages work.

> 3) And why there're no "current" binaries? My Celeron 400 flint is not
> a match to Athlon/Xeon/Pentium 4000+ 203mm heavy cruiser cannons, not
> mentioning X2/X4 406 mm battleship monsters.

The binaries are created when pkgsrc is in a stable state. After pkgsrc
were frozen for 2 weeks (to hunt most of the serious bugs out). As a
bulk build could take two weeks or longer, the resulting binaries would
not really be "current" anymore.

Kind regards, Mark

--
Mark Weinem