Subject: Re: How can I install applications which have conflicts in
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2007 11:29:04
--Signature=_Wed__21_Mar_2007_11_29_04_-0500_Ufx0SQVI5eEZCZf0

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:58:36 +0000
Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk> wrote:

> It would e.g. be very much appreciated if you could create the missing
> packages and submit them for inclusion in "pkgsrc" or provide fixes
> for existing packages.

Well, I do my best according to my abilities. I use NetBSD, test it, check it, ask questions, and submit ideas.

I'm not a programmer but I can help other way. E.g. puting on my WWW the forbidden binaries of OpenMotif (for nedit and xpdf !!!) and Mplayer. In other words I can keep unofficial site with i386 binaries.

You know very well that today's distro without mplayer is worth less for casual user. If you keep over 6000 binaries to makes users' life easier it means you want the system to be known in broader sense, not as a niche product. But to achieve that you have multimedia ready at hand.

Pkgsrc.tgz unpack on my rig over 1/2 hour and takes about 1 GB of HDD. Meantime most NetBSD i386 is being run on old machines with limited disk space (old disks). How do you want fullfil the two contradictory demands - popularity with lack of multimedia?

And please, do not tip me however gently and politly, what I should do better than wasting my time asking on mailing list for whatever comeh to my mind.

> That's ultimately how Open Source works.
Let's assume that we _all_ know how the Open Source works.

Kind regards
pp
--
Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp@kv.net.pl>