Subject: Re: How can I install applications which have conflicts in
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2007 09:26:22
--Signature=_Wed__21_Mar_2007_09_26_22_-0500_GaJQTU8BlYTDiF6h

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:44:55 -0500 (CDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> > For past several months I tried to gather different reasonable sets
> > of different programs taking into consideration aesthetic issues or
> > good efficiency on old machines or small footprint. But all the
> > efforts were pointless.
>
> Why? Did it fail?
Yes,

> Did you make a meta-package or new package with configurations to
> share?
No,

> Sorry if I overlooked your postings about this.
From thread "Errors and deficiencies in NetBSD 3.1, i386, stable"
--
If we have firefox-gtk among many others (sic!) why there are no such important applications like sylpheed-gtk and dillo-gtk (but with tabs and frames like in Linux distro Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/applications.html) and others)?

Why faulty gentoo (after compilation as well) and gftp-gtk1 are being kept in repository when their misbehavior is known to developers (vide answers on mailing lists)?
--

Once I wrote about lack of emelFM (gkt+1.2), also present in DSL (Damn Small Linux):
http://emelfm.sourceforge.net/
but no one answered to my remarks.

> Creating meta-packages with pre-created themes and configurations
> would be useful for some. Please submit.

Please, tip me where to read about it?
I've run hurridly pkgsrc docs but I didn't find what would be of great conviniency to meta-pkg creations. Namely meta-pkg-buld.sh where I could enter all pkg names of interest and the script would do the rest.

Only then I could gather packages of some sort, additional graphics or data files into one entity and create meta-package.

BTW. The name below is misleading. I expected something like LAMP package but I've found conversion meta-package.

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/README.html:
netbsd-www-1.4nb3: Packages required to build the NetBSD.org web site
DISCR:
Meta-package that includes all packages needed for converting DocBook/XML to HTML, primarily used for the NetBSD web site.

I also see that the meta-pkgs can be easily pigeon-holed into several categories: wm, development, desktop. What about distinctive groups of old-machines (Pentium II/Celeron) verus new-machines (X2,SATA, etc)?

> (A lot of people use NetBSD because they know how they want their
> system setup and don't like to un-do superfluous configurations,
> themes, extras. But some extra meta-packages would be useful for
> others.)

I think one page with pictures about meta-pkgs on oficial WWW would be advisable. Why interesting information are being hide within NetBSD html nooks?

Thank you for your interest in my opinions.

Regards,
pp
--
Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp@kv.net.pl>