Subject: Re: presentation neutral publication tool
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Reilly <andrew-netbsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2007 23:36:39
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 01:06:16AM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> I'm looking for a system to publish documents in multiple media
> forms, probably limited to pdf and html.
[snip]
> Any suggestions?

I've used skribe (a bigloo scheme sub-language) which uses TeX to
produce PDF, so most of the constraints are there already.  It
does its own html generation, though, so it's pretty straight
forward to add navigation gizmos and what-not that don't show up
when printing.

The SGML docbook stuff that the handbook and other doco is
written in would seem to be able to do the job, but I've never
bothered to try: I really don't like doing XML by hand...  Don't
know how well it does equations or fancy images, either.

I've had some success with OpenOffice and even Word, for small
values of success.

Cheers,

--
Andrew