Subject: Re: How can I install applications which have conflicts in
To: Alexander Bubnov <alexander.bubnov@gmail.com>
From: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2007 07:21:42
--Signature=_Wed__21_Mar_2007_07_21_42_-0500_aDOnKc03zd.lBOtU

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:25:35 +0300
"Alexander Bubnov" <alexander.bubnov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for help!
>
> Your last solution to solve the problem having opera, vmware and
> acroread. Now, the situation is better... But, I have gotten some
> problem with other soft: opera-acoread
> opera-plugins (flash media)
> openoffice2 - (I forget about this in previos letters). ooffice1 is
> old.
>
> They require suse10.

Hi Alex,

Please, don't feel offended but you are pushing through all obstacles in dead end street and seeing the road sign in full.

Several times I faced the same problem. What to do "in" or "with" NetBSD in order to achieve this or that. E.g I'd like to have Desktop with nice and _consistant_ looking based on only one kind of libraries gtk+ 1.2 o gtk+ 2. And too many times the _only_ answer was it's time to change the distro or revise the assumptions or ideas which led me to the point of no sensible resolutions of my dillemas.

NetBSD is being developed without _any_ idea of how to make user's applications look "nice". It's up to the user what he want to use. Good. But if what he gets is a total mish-mash of libraries or basic applications from different "stables" or "forgeries" is of no concern to them. The apps must work, that's all. Especially those applications which are included in pkgsrc bag.

For past several months I tried to gather different reasonable sets of different programs taking into consideration aesthetic issues or good efficiency on old machines or small footprint. But all the efforts were pointless. NetBSD is offered as an operating system as such and nothing more. I repeat _nothing more_.

I do not know what NetBSD policy is all about in this area. I don't know why it is so. I simply do know nothing about what expect from further development of the system. See NetBSD WWW pages. Zero information. Even problems with SMP are hide from the main pages. What problems? What about n-core chips? Where to look for the information? Nothing.

But coming directly to your prolems I think you should wait (wait, wait, wait,...., no one from NetBSD forge was gracious to say for how long as for now, alas) for next release. Or look for system who would run your applications without emulation.

I've read that OpenOffice.org 2.0 will be part of pkgsrc what of course doesn't mean it will be available in binary form for i386 platform. And with this statement I've full turn and ended up my utterance at the beginning. What only proves my thesis that full, clear, extensive, and cooperative information about the development of NetBSD is unreachable. With full blame on developers side.

Regards,
pp

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp@kv.net.pl>