Subject: Re: a question about updating
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thierry Lacoste <lacoste@univ-paris12.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2007 21:35:15
On Tuesday 20 March 2007 17:22, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 01:52:15PM +0100, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> > Is this possible to do it that way or should I build a release?
>
> As has been mentioned, the preferred (and most fail proof way) is to build
> sets on the build machine.
>
> You can get away most of the time with something like
>
>   make installworld USETOOLS=never INSTALLWORLDDIR=/ DESTDIR=/mnt
>
> on the target machine, but again, most of the time "build.sh sets" is the
> best thing to do.
>
> Martin
Thanks Matthias, Greg and Martin.
I tested "build.sh sets" and I think it meets my needs.

Now I'm just curious.
With FreeBSD I use "make buildworld" on a machine
which nfs-exports /usr/src and /usr/obj read-only.
On other machines I mount those directories and "make installworld".

I thought that "build.sh distribution" and "build.sh install" was the
equivalent on NetBSD but apparently I'm wrong.
Why does "build.sh install" need write access to obj?

Regards,
Thierry.

PS: I know that NFS is not secure but it is so comfortable. Lazy me ;)