Subject: Re: presentation neutral publication tool
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2007 15:23:53
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Mar_20_15:23:50_2007-1

At Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:06:16 -0400,
George Georgalis wrote:
>=20
> I'm looking for a system to publish documents in multiple media
> forms, probably limited to pdf and html. The plan had been to use
> latex, but there are too many problems when it comes to figures
> and graphics, eg make a latex doc that renders with ray traced pdf
> or eps figures when appropriate, while knowing to include the png
> files for html; or make tables and multi-page tables, etc work in
> all formats.
>=20
> My most recent problems for pdflatex are worked out, but I've
> given up making html versions available. The documents I'm working
> with could be a few pages or 100s, are technical and scientific,
> with symbols and formulas, with (sometimes lots) of graphics that
> may be 5 or 10 Mb each.

If you've truly given up on HTML then I would highly recommend
pkgsrc/textproc/lout.  It can produce PostScript and reasonable PDF
output, as well as some semblance of text.

Lout source is much easier to manipulate than TeX (or even troff).

Lout source is, IMNHO, infinitely easier to write than that for Tex or
LaTeX or any other TeX macro package I've ever heard of.  It's equally
easier to write than troff source too.

Lout is good for one-page letters all the way up to full books.

If you really need HTML, then maybe you would like to take a look at
groff again, and in particular the NetBSD doc2html macros.  They work
reasonably well, though I've not tried to do anything with embedded
images of any kind yet.

> As long as I'm wishing, programmatic generated
> source along with a WYSIWYG interface options would be ideal.

There are apparently WYSIWYG editors for lout, though I'm not a big fan
of WYSWYG and I haven't even bothered looking or trying anything.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>